Rick Johnson is a partner of the firm and is the Office Managing Partner for the firm's Salt Lake City office. His practice encompasses estate planning, probate, charitable organizations and giving, individual and corporate taxation, transactional work, real estate and general business planning. Rick is a past member of the Board of Directors of the law firm Van Cott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy and a past Section Chair of its Tax Section, a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and a Certified Public Accountant.
In addition to the drafting of estate planning documents, developing gifting strategies, preparing estate tax returns, handling probate proceedings and family succession planning, Rick assists clients in resolving family disputes. He represents small, medium and large estates. He also assists many of his estate planning clients with charitable giving and in the organization and administration of charitable trusts, private foundations and other charitable organizations.
Rick also represents various clients in general business, corporate and real estate matters, providing legal advice on state and federal tax matters, mergers and acquisitions, sales, leases and succession planning. He also advises and assists start-up companies in matters involving entity selection, organization, tax planning and general business matters.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Salt Lake City Trusts and Estates Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Trusts & Estates), 1992-2013
- Selected as a Legal Elite by Utah Business, 2011
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2007, 2010
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
- Member, American Bar Association; member and past Chairman, Estate Planning and Probate Section
- Chairman, Estate Planning Section, Utah State Bar, 1989-1990
- Member, Executive Committee, Estate Planning Section, Utah State Bar
- Past member, Subcommittee on Unauthorized Practice of Law, Estate Planning Section, Utah State Bar
- Past member, Legislative Committee, Estate Planning Section, Utah State Bar
- Member, Salt Lake Estate Planning Council
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, LDS Development Committee, 2002-2009
- Volunteer for American Heart Association Utah Affiliate: Board of Directors, 1992-1997, Chairman of the Board, 1994-1995
- Intermountain Health Care, Planned Giving Committee
- Pioneer Theatre Company Corporate Chair (Lawyers)
- Organized and represents numerous tax-exempt organizations and has been involved in numerous tax planning strategies using tax-exempt organizations
- Brigham Young University, J.D., 1978, magna cum laude
- University of Utah, B.A., 1974, magna cum laude
Print to Word