Jon Iversen is a partner in the Litigation group and the Property Tax section and focuses his practice on advising and litigating for clients in tax matters. Before joining Stoel Rives, Jon served as Director of the Tax Division of the Department of Revenue for the State of Alaska (2007-2011). He has deep experience in complex tax matters and has litigated and negotiated settlements of major tax and royalty cases. He served as a core team member in drafting and implementing the laws and regulations for Alaska's oil and gas production (severance) tax and property tax. Jon also has an emphasis on oil and gas exploration, development and production matters, including royalties, leasing and unitization.
Jon also worked as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Alaska in the Oil, Gas & Mining Section (2005-2007), an associate at Eide, Miller & Pate, P.C. (2003-2005) and a judicial clerk for Superior Court Judge Larry D. Card (2002-2003).
- Counsel to Repsol E&P USA, Inc. regarding Alaska oil and gas production taxes, property taxes and royalties in connection with oil and gas exploration and development activities on the North Slope of Alaska.
- Counsel to Great Bear Petroleum Operating LLC regarding Alaska oil and gas production taxes and property taxes in connection with oil and gas exploration and development activities on the North Slope of Alaska, with a particular focus on unconventional shale based oil.
- Counsel to Furie Operating Alaska, LLC regarding Alaska oil and gas production taxes and property taxes in connection with oil and gas exploration and development activities in Cook Inlet.
- Counsel to Furie Operating Alaska, LLC regarding oil and gas leasing and unitization matters in Cook Inlet, including applications for and negotiations concerning the Kitchen Lights Unit plans of exploration and operations and extension of the unit agreement.
- Regularly counsels and represents several oil and gas exploration and production companies in oil and gas production tax and property tax matters before the Alaska Department of Revenue.
- Regularly counsels and represents several oil and gas exploration and production companies in oil and gas lease and unit matters involving the Alaska Department of Natural Resources.
- Regularly counsels and represents mining companies in mining license tax matters before the Alaska Department of Revenue.
- Regularly counsels and represents Alaska Native Corporations in regard to Alaska state and local taxes.
- Testified before the legislature and advised the Commissioner of Revenue and Tax Division staff on complex tax matters with an emphasis on oil and gas production and property taxes.
- Managed litigation for the Tax Division and negotiated settlements of tax assessments in oil and gas production tax and corporate income tax matters.
- Served as a core team member for changes to oil and gas production tax laws and regulations, known as Alaska's Clear and Equitable Share (ACES) and property tax laws and regulations.
- Advised and litigated for the Department of Revenue in oil and gas production and property tax assessments and tax appeals.
- Advised and litigated for the Department of Natural Resources in oil and gas royalty, leasing and unitization matters.
- Researched and drafted legislation and advised the executive branch in oil and gas concerns.
Professional Honors & Activities
Jon was nominated for the State of Alaska Governor's Denali Peak Performance Award in 2011 and 2008 for Leadership, and in 2010 for Exceptional Performance as a member of the oil and gas production tax regulations team. In 2006, he received a letter of commendation from the Alaska Attorney General for achieving a favorable result in a major royalty dispute and for his role in state superior and supreme courts in a lawsuit brought by the legislature against the governor over an interstate gas pipeline contract.
- "Overview of Alaska Production and Property Taxes," Tax Executives Institute, Inc., January 31, 2013
- "An Introduction to Alaska Oil and Gas Production Tax Credits," Alaska Association of Professional Landmen, Jan. 2012
- "Separating Oil from Gas for Alaska's Production Tax," Alaska Support Industry Alliance Board of Directors, Jan. 2012
- "Alaska Legislature Considers Amending the Oil and Gas Production Tax," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF) Newsletter, Volume XXVIII, Number 4, 2011
- "An Introduction to Alaska's Property and Oil and Gas Production Taxes," Corporate Counsel Section of the Alaska Bar Association, Sept., 2011
- Jon frequently makes presentations and provides education and training on oil and gas production and property tax matters for clients.
- Jon has testified frequently before the Alaska Legislature on numerous tax and oil and gas topics.
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 2002
Associate editor, Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy
- University of Colorado Graduate School of Business, M.B.A., 2002
Beta Gamma Sigma (highest honors for MBA programs)
- University of Wyoming, B.A., 1997, with honors
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
Phi Sigma Iota Foreign Language Honor Society (Spanish)
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
University of Wyoming Honors Program
Print to Word