Ben Spiess is a senior associate in the Corporate and Real Estate practice groups. He represents clients in all aspects of corporate and commercial real estate matters, including the purchase and sale of commercial real estate, real estate financing, leasing, development, renewable energy, land use and zoning, and ANCSA and public land matters. Ben represents corporate clients in a range of transactional matters including mergers, equity and asset transactions, joint ventures, corporate reorganizations, and governance matters for corporations, limited liability companies, statutory trusts and partnerships.
Before joining Stoel Rives, Ben was an associate at Bingham McCutchen LLP in Boston (2006-2010), a legal intern at the Lyme Timber Company in Hanover, New Hampshire (Summer 2006) and a summer associate for Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in New York City (2004).
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENTS AND TRANSACTIONS
Alaska Native Corporations
Oil & Gas & Mining
- Goldbelt, Inc.: Reorganization of Alaska business unit from corporations to LLCs; sale of Alaska marine tourism assets; construction and lease of marine breakwater facility
- Cook Inlet Region, Inc. (CIRI): Acquisition of majority equity interest in Cruz Energy Services LLC, a North Dakota oil field service company; development of Fire Island wind power project
- Arctic Slope Regional Corporation: Acquisition of McGraw Construction, a leading commercial construction company in Southeast Alaska
- NANA Corporation: Refinancing of Anchorage office complex; lease and renovation of Alaska corporate headquarters
- Tatitlek, Inc.: Acquisition of Anchorage office building
- Calista, Inc.: Formation of an 8(a)-qualified limited liability company to bid NASA engineering project.
- Represented Conoco Philips in sale with option to purchase liquefied natural gas plant in Kenai, Alaska
- Represented Savant Alaska in formation of new LLCs to own and operate Badami oil field pipelines on the North Slope
- Represented Millrock Alaska in numerous joint venture agreements to explore for and develop minerals across Alaska
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, Alaska Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Advisors, The Chewonki Foundation, Wiscasset, Maine, 2007-present
- Member, Board of Advisors, Design That Matters, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2007-present
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2006
- Middlebury College, B.A., 1994
Print to Word