Duff Bryant is a partner of the firm in the Corporate group and also serves on the firm's Executive Committee. He focuses his practice on significant business transactions for companies in a wide range of industries and at various stages of growth. Duff chairs the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions practice group and has significant experience in domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. He has also advised and assisted numerous clients in forming, capitalizing and maintaining domestic and foreign entities. Duff also has extensive experience in secured and unsecured financings.
Duff was an associate at Dorsey & Whitney LLP (2000-2004) and at Ryan, Swanson & Cleveland, PLLC (1999-2000).
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq: SCHN), a global leader in the metals recycling industry, in multiple acquisitions of metals recycling businesses in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada and Washington.
- Represented Interfor Pacific Inc., a forest products company, in multiple acquisitions of lumber mills in Oregon and Washington.
- Represented Versacold (a Canadian company with significant U.S. operations) as U.S. counsel in a corporate restructuring, refinancing and sale of assets to Americold Realty Trust. The total transaction value was $975 million.
- Represented SunPower Corporation in connection with purchase of companies owning green field solar projects in California and Arizona.
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in its acquisition of an operating company and its subsidiaries with a processing facility in Utah and a fleet of vehicles for distribution of dairy products.
- Represented Darigold, Inc. (the operating business of Northwest Dairy Association) and Northwest Dairy Association in its acquisition (through merger) of a cooperative with two processing facilities in Montana.
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in its acquisition of a dairy sales and distribution business in Hawaii.
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in its acquisition of Inland Northwest Corporation, which was Darigold, Inc.'s joint venture partner for a milk processing facility in Spokane, Washington.
- Represented National Frozen Foods Corporation, a private-label frozen vegetable industry leader headquartered in Seattle, in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Columbia Foods, Inc.
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in its acquisition of certain business assets from Wilcox Farms.
- Represented Endeavour Capital, a private equity firm, in its acquisition (through merger) of National Frozen Foods Corporation.
- Represented a company headquartered in India in its investments in various ethanol projects throughout the United States, which included acquisitions, equity investments, debt financings and joint venture formations.
- Represented Precision Castparts Corp. (NYSE: PCP) in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of McWilliams Forge Company, Inc., headquartered in Rockaway, New Jersey.
- Represented Versacold (a Canadian company) and its subsidiaries in the acquisition of the public refrigerated warehousing and distribution business of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (aka P&O).
- Represented UMD Advanced Test Technologies (provider of products and services that address semiconductor test cell requirements) in its merger with Antares conTech (a provider of high-end sockets and connectors for the semiconductor industry).
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in its sale of substantially all of the assets of Olympic Foods, Inc. (a subsidiary of Darigold, Inc. that produced and sold juice).
- Represented Darigold, Inc. in the sale of its ice cream and frozen novelty business to Humboldt Creamery Association and the licensing of the right to use the "Darigold" trademark and other marks in connection with the production, marketing and sale of ice cream and frozen novelties.
- Represented SSA Mexico Holdings, S.A. de C.V., a holding company with investments in port and terminal operations in Mexico, in its acquisition of SSA Mexico, S.A. de C.V. (fka TMM Puertos y Terminales, S.A. de C.V.) from Grupo TMM, S.A.
- Represented Idaho Solar Power, LLC (a subsidiary of IDACORP, Inc.) in the sale of its solar photovoltaic systems business to Schott Applied Power Corporation.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of a large Japanese corporation in connection with its formation of a joint venture to develop a golf course and residential real estate and its recapitalization (both equity and debt) of an existing residential real estate joint venture.
- Represented SSA Terminals, LLC, a company with investments in port and terminal operations in the western United States, in connection with its formation of several joint ventures.
- Represented a private equity fund headquartered in Washington in its investment in a joint venture vehicle used to acquire real property in California and New Mexico.
- Represented SSA Mexico, Inc., a company with investments in port and terminal operations in Mexico, in the restructuring of its joint venture operations in Mexico with Grupo TMM, S.A.
- Represented SSA Atlantic, Inc., a company with investments in port and terminal operations on the East Coast, in the formation and organization of SSAC, LLC, a joint venture vehicle owned by SSA Atlantic and Cooper/T. Smith Stevedoring Co., Inc.
- Represented SSA Ventures, Inc. and SSA Gulf, Inc. in the transfer of certain stevedoring and related operations to CSA Equipment Company LLC, a joint venture vehicle owned by SSA Ventures and Cooper/T. Smith Stevedoring Co., Inc.
- Represented Keynetics Inc., an e-commerce company that operates ClickBank.com and ClickBank.net, in corporate restructuring.
- Represented Carrix, Inc., a company with numerous subsidiaries engaged in stevedoring, port, terminal and rail operations, and related services and technologies, in two corporate restructurings.
- Represented Nichirei Corporation of Japan in two restructurings of U.S. operations.
Other Significant Business Transactions
- Representing hedge fund management company headquartered in Washington in its formation and organization as a limited liability company, as well as its initial capitalization and operations.
- Represented IdaTech LLC, a leading fuel cell company, in connection with a three-party supply agreement for fuel cell systems to be manufactured and distributed in India and surrounding areas.
- Represented IdaTech LLC in a coal gasification project and technology development agreement with a large Japanese energy company.
- Represented IdaTech LLC in licensing fuel cell system technology to Tokyo Boeki, Ltd.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Mergers & Acquisitions Law), 2013
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Washington) by Chambers USA (currently: Corporate/Commercial), 2006-2012
- Named a "Rising Star" by Washington Law and Politics magazine, 2005-2006
- Chair, Stoel Rives LLP's Mergers and Acquisitions practice group
- Member, Washington State Bar Association, King County Bar Association, American Bar Association
- "What Kills Deals," Straight Talk Series, Stoel Rives LLP, May 15, 2012
- Moderator, "Developers' Perspectives on Outlook for the Wind Sector," Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, Feb. 8-10, 2012
- "Renewable Developers' Perspectives on the Renewable Deal Making Market," Green Energy M&A Outlook for 2012, San Diego, Nov. 15, 2011
- Summit co-chair, Green Energy M&A Outlook for 2010, Santa Clara, California, Nov. 14-15, 2011
- "Conflict of Interest and Fiduciary Duty Issues," 8th Annual Northwest Private Equity: The Resurgence of Credit Markets Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Oct. 21, 2011
- "What Kills Deals?", TerraLex M&A Practice Group Meeting, June 4, 2011
- "Will Investor Owned Utilities Dominate the M&A Market?," AWEA Windpower 2011, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California, May 23, 2011
- "A Look Back and a Look Forward at Wind M&A," Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, Feb. 4, 2011
- "Maximizing Deals in Recovering M&A Market," 2010 Northwest Growth Finance Conference, Seattle Association for Corporate Growth, July 2010
- "Partnerships and LLCs - 2009 & 2010 Legislation and Other Recent Developments: Essentials, Overview, and Strategic Insights - Disputes and Exit Strategies," Washington State Bar Association CLE, June 22, 2010
- Moderator, "Market Consolidation, Strategic Investment and M&A," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, Mar. 2010
- "Transactional Aspect of Forest Carbon Disclosure, Transactional Issues, Carbon Offset Sales, Accounting for Carbon Value in Timber Sales and Log Supply Agreements," Stoel Rives LLP program, "What's a Tree Worth," Weyerhaeuser Headquarters, Federal Way, Washington, Oct. 2008
- "Governance and Management Issues for LLCs in Washington," Lorman Seminar Group, Aug. 2008
- "Recognizing the Blind Spots in Entity Selection and Formation in the World of Partnerships, LLPs, LPs and LLCs in Washington," Lorman Seminar Group, Oct. 2004-2005
- Member, Public Affairs Council, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, 2001-2004, 2005-2009
- Member, Board of Directors, Alpha Rho Alumni Association, 2000-present
- University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Washington, B.A., 1996
Print to Word