William L. Clydesdale
Bill Clydesdale is a partner in the firm's Corporate group and advises clients on a wide variety of business transactions, corporate governance and strategic issues. His practice emphasizes debt and equity financings, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions in industries ranging from software and renewable energy to retailing and wood products. He has extensive international deal experience and is one of the founding members of the firm's China group.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Bill practiced corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions with Baker & McKenzie in New York and Hong Kong.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Da Kine Hawaii, Inc. in its sale to Billabong International Limited.
- Represented ProSight Holding, Inc. in its sale to Primavera Systems, Inc.
- Represented Unicru, Inc. in its acquisitions of Guru Worldwide, Inc. and Xperius, Inc. and its sale to Kronos, Inc.
- Represented Blue Heron Paper Company in connection with the purchase of a controlling equity ownership interest in the company by its employee stock ownership plan.
- Represented SRC Software, Inc. in its preferred stock transaction with Vista Equity Partners and its sale to Business Objects S.A.
- Represented Cascade Semiconductor Solutions, Inc. in its sale to Synopsis, Inc.
- Represented Cascade Semiconductor Corporation in its sale to Cypress Semiconductor Corporation.
- Represented Precision Castparts Corp. in its acquisition of SPS Technologies.
- Represented FEI Company in its acquisition of LMC Instrument Corp.
- Represented a non-U.S. private investment fund in connection with the sale of depositary shares, representing equity interests in an Indian telecommunications company, to a public U.S. company.
- Advised a U.S. renewable energy company on structuring a biogas joint venture in North America.
- Represented a U.S. renewable energy company in the negotiation of a wind energy joint venture in the Pacific Northwest.
- Represented a non-U.S. private investment fund and foreign government in the formation and capacity expansion of a joint venture to acquire and operate power projects in Asia.
- Represented a U.S. plastics manufacturer in connection with a global joint venture with a Dutch company.
- Represented a Silicon IP and IC systems company in its Series A, Series B and Series C preferred stock financings.
- Represented a PV solar cell business in its spin-off from Intel Corporation and preferred stock and convertible debt financings.
- Represented a U.S. private equity fund in its investments in U.S. biodiesel production facilities.
- Represented a bio-tech start-up in its spin-off from Oregon Health & Science University and Series A and Series B preferred stock financings.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Past Chair and Treasurer, Executive Committee, International Law Section, Oregon State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Nominating Committee for the Oregon Entrepreneurs Forum's annual Entrepreneurship Awards, 2003-2004
- Moderator, "Why Chinese Wind Equipment Manufacturers Should Consider Building a Pilot Project in the United States," US-China Wind 2010, San Francisco, California, Dec. 8, 2010
- "Wind Project Services in the US: Turbine Supply, EPC and O&M," Invest in America Workshop – Renewable Energy – Wind Power, Beijing, China, Dec. 6, 2010
- "Renewable Energy Opportunities in Washington State," Chinese-language presentation at FDI seminar hosted by Washington State China Relations Council and Washington State Department of Commerce for CCPIT officials and other senior business executives, Seattle, Washington, June 30, 2010
- "International Technology Transactions: Challenges and Outcomes," International Law Weekend-West, Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon, Mar. 7, 2009
- "Drafting Asset Acquisition Agreements," Oregon State Bar Corporate Finance Group M&A CLE series, Portland, Oregon, Oct. 14, 2003
- Member of the Board of Trustees, The International School, Portland, Oregon
- "Choice of Corporate Structure and Entity," The Law of Marine and Hydrokinetic Energy: A Guide to Business and Legal Issues, Stoel Rives LLP, 2011 (formerly The Law of Ocean and Tidal Energy.)
- 2007 Supplement to "Assisting an Extranational Corporation in Oregon," Advising Oregon Business, Oregon State Bar, 2007
- "Has China Kept Its Word Regarding IPR Protection?" (co-author), New York Law Journal, Apr. 1996
- CCH China Business Law Guide (contributing editor), 1990
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1993, cum laude
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1988
Phi Beta Kappa
Print to Word
- District of Columbia
- New York