Timothy W. Snider
Tim Snider is a member of the firm's Litigation group with an emphasis in complex business litigation. Tim has experience defending companies and executives in class actions, securities and antitrust cases, consumer and deceptive practices actions, and corporate governance disputes. Tim also represents businesses in commercial contract disputes and insurance coverage actions. Tim has appeared in federal and state courts around the country, including Oregon, Washington, California, Connecticut, Oklahoma and Texas. Tim's clients range from public companies to privately-held businesses in a number of industries including insurance, technology, telecommunications, transportation, healthcare, energy, construction, manufacturing, consumer products and financial services.
- In re Farmers FCRA Litig. (W.D. Okla.). Lead counsel for insurance company in national multi-district litigation (MDL) class action challenging insurer's practices under Fair Credit Reporting Act. Successfully resolved in settlement.
- Ashby v. Farmers Ins. Co. of Or. (D. Or.). Obtained complete defense verdict following jury trial in class action seeking $144 million from insurance company for alleged violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Ivanov v. Farmers Ins. Co. of Or. (Mult. Co. Cir. Ct.). Representing insurance company in putative class action challenging medical claims-handling practices.
- Reyes v. Sabroso Company (Mult. Co. Cir. Ct.). Secured favorable settlement in wage and hour class action against food products manufacturer.
- In re Cray Sec. Litig. (W.D. Wash.). Assisted in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of securities class actions and derivative suits against supercomputer manufacturer.
- In re Lattice Semiconductor Sec. Litig. (D. Or.). Assisted in securing favorable settlement in securities class action against semiconductor chip manufacturer.
- Braxton v. Fire Ins. Exch. (W.D. Okla.). Obtained summary judgment in class action challenging insurer's practice of charging premiums based on consumer report information.
- In re Enron Sec. Litig. (S.D. Tex.). Led fact-development efforts on securities fraud claims as part of trial team in criminal and civil cases against former Enron executive.
- Client name withheld. Assisted in securing favorable settlement in NASD/FINRA arbitrations against registered representatives alleging securities violations.
- CRM Collateral II, Inc. v. Tri-County Met. Transp. Dist., 669 F.3d 963 (9th Cir. 2012). Successfully represented regional transportation district in letter of credit dispute relating to railcar contract.
- Client name withheld. Assisted in securing favorable settlement for wind power developer in power purchase agreement dispute.
- Foreman v. Total Mechanical, Inc. (Mult. Co. Cir. Ct.). Lead trial counsel for majority shareholder in action by minority shareholder for breach of fiduciary duty and minority shareholder oppression.
- Agate Resources, Inc. v. ClearChoice Healthplans, Inc. (Deschutes Co. Cir. Ct.). Obtained judgment and attorneys' fees as lead counsel for shareholders following bench trial in action against public healthcare company in alleged hostile takeover dispute.
- Naito v. Naito (Mult. Co. Cir. Ct.). Assisted in obtaining favorable settlement for majority shareholder of closely-held company after bench trial in action alleging minority shareholder oppression.
Antitrust and Deceptive Practices
- Panasonic Corp. Antitrust Cases (Mult. Co. Cir. Ct.; King Co. Sup. Ct.). Representing Panasonic Corp. and subsidiaries in antitrust actions brought by Oregon and Washington Attorneys General.
- State v. LA Weight Loss Franchise Company (Marion Co. Cir. Ct.). Secured favorable settlement for weight loss company in deceptive trade practices enforcement action brought by Oregon Attorney General following a series of successful pretrial motions.
- Client names withheld. Counseling business clients in responding to investigative demands and inquiries from U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division and Oregon Attorney General Civil Enforcement Division.
Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Knowledge Learning Corp. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pitt. Pa., No. 11-35160, 2012 WL 1144288 (9th Cir. April 6, 2012). Obtained summary judgment in favor of national childcare provider in insurance coverage action seeking defense and indemnity from excess insurance carrier and affirmance of judgment appeal.
- American Specialty Lines Ins. Co. v. KinderCare Learning Centers, Inc., No. 07-642-KI, 2011 WL 1002172 (D. Or. Mar. 18, 2011). Obtained judgment on pleadings in favor of national childcare provider against insurer's multi-million dollar subrogation action relating to defective products.
- State ex rel. Dept. of Forestry v. PacifiCorp, 236 Or. App. 326, 237 P.3d 861 (2010). Successfully represented utility in action seeking indemnification for forest fire loss.
- The Pacific Lumber Company v. General Star Indemnity Co. (N.D. Cal.). Assisted in securing insurance defense for forest-products company for lawsuits arising out of flood events.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed among Rising StarsSM (Class Actions), by Oregon Super Lawyers®, (2009)
- Member, American Bar Association, Class Action and Securities Litigation Section
- Oregon State Liaison, American Bar Association, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Subcommittee
- Board Member, Federal Bar Association, Oregon Chapter
- Member, Oregon State Bar Securities Section
- Member, Multnomah County Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- "Set Terms of Minority Owner Buyouts When They First Buy In," Portland Business Journal, Aug. 17, 2012
- "Practical 'How To' Advice to Avoid Litigation Nightmares," Stoel Rives LLP, May 19, 2011
- "Essential Issues for LLC and Other Limited Liability Entities," Oregon State Bar CLE Seminar, Oct. 24, 2008
- "Document Retention and Destruction in Oregon," Lorman Educational Services Seminar, Nov. 18, 2008
- "Indemnity and Contribution" (contributing author), Torts, Oregon State Bar, 2006
- Comment, "A Rational Basis for Rational Basis Review Under Article I, Section 20 of the Oregon Constitution?," Willamette Law Review, 2003
- Board Member, St. Andrew's Legal Clinic
- Member, Portland City Club
- Advisory Counsel, The Pangaea Project
- Member, Imago Dei Community Church
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., 2003, summa cum laude
- Wheaton College, B.A., Business and Economics, 1999, magna cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court