Richard A. Hopp
Richard Hopp is a partner of the firm in the Employee Benefits section. Richard concentrates his practice on the design and drafting of qualified retirement plans and executive compensation. He also counsels employers on legal compliance and interpretation of all types of employee benefit plans, as well as fiduciary responsibility issues, including prohibited transactions.
- Advised ESOP trustees on correction of prohibited transaction matter involving purchase of employer securities and obtaining relief under Department of Labor voluntary compliance program.
- Negotiated complex service agreements with record-keeping and investment firm.
- Advise major retailer in ongoing administrative and compliance issues for qualified retirement plan and non-qualified deferred compensation plan.
- Regularly prepare qualified separate line of business analysis and filings.
- Regularly advise plan sponsors on self-correction of operational errors.
- Regularly update severance and employment agreements and deferred compensation plans to comply with section 409A.
- Provide ongoing due diligence of all employee benefits and negotiate terms of acquisition by major wholesale firm.
- Restate major foundation's 403(b) program to comply with final IRS regulations.
- Regularly advise plan sponsors on creation, documentation and legal compliance for qualified retirement plans.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law), 1987-2013
- Selected as a Washington "Super Lawyer" by Washington Law & Politics, 2001, 2003, 2007
- Member, Taxation Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Chair, Seattle Pension Roundtable
- Past Director and Significant Issues Chair, Western Pension Conference (Seattle Chapter), 1985‑1990
- Drafter, Washington State exemptions of retirement plan benefits from legal process and of retirement plan loans from state usury limitations
Frequently lectures on employee benefits law at seminars sponsored by the Washington State Bar Association, Western Pension Conference, Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants and other groups. Examples include:
- "Nonqualified Deferred Compensation after the 409A Compliance Deadline," Western Pension & Benefits Conference, Seattle Chapter Annual Benefits Conference, Apr. 2009
- "Overview of Section 409A and Why It Matters," Washington State Bar Association Eighth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Nov. 2008
- "Overview of Section 409A," Washington State Bar Association, Aug. 2008
- "Round Two: Cycle B Determination Letter Filings and the 2006 Cumulative List of Plan Changes, Western Pension & Benefits Conference," July 2007
- "What Corporate Lawyers Need to Know about Section 409A," Stoel Rives in-house presentation, June 2007
- Member, Rotary #4 Youth, Schools & Early Learning Committee, 2006-2009
- Treasurer and Board Member, L'Arche Noah Sealth, 2001-2009
- Member, Human Rights Task Force, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, 1989
- "December 31, 2008, Deadline to Bring Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Arrangements, Severance Pay Arrangements, Incentive Stock Options and Employment Agreements into Compliance with Section 409A and to Make Modifications to Time and Form of Payment," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Sept. 2008
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: Extensive Transition Relief Under Internal Revenue Code Section 409A," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Oct. 2007
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: Limited Transition Relief Under Internal Revenue Code Section 409A," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Sept. 2007
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: Overview of Key Provisions of the Section 409A Final Regulations," Stoel Rives Legal Update, May 2007
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: Treasury and IRS Issue Final Regulations Regarding Deferred Compensation Plans," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Apr. 2007
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: IRS Extends Transition Relief Under Section 409A Through 2007," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Oct. 2006
- "Employee Benefits Law Alert: Overview of Key Provisions of the Section 409A Proposed Regulations," Stoel Rives Legal Update, Jan. 2006
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1976
Articles Editor, Washington Law Review
- San Luis Rey College, B.A., 1969
Print to Word