Kassim M. Ferris
Kassim Ferris is a partner of the firm concentrating his practice on domestic and international patent prosecution, patent opinions, technology licensing, trademark registration, intellectual property transfers, technology development and collaboration agreements, and intellectual property dispute resolution. Kassim is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and counsels clients regularly on all aspects of intellectual property law. His patent experience spans a wide range of mechanical, electromechanical, optics and computer-related technologies, including semiconductor integrated circuit fabrication, atomic layer deposition, optical systems, sporting optics, gun safety equipment, image processing, wireless data networks, flat panel display technologies, electrical connectors, Internet/business methods, building products, apparel, and footwear.
Kassim has three years of engineering experience at 3M Company, where he was responsible for the design and development of tooling and manufacturing processes for electrical connectors, including high-speed progressive die stamping, metal heat treating, and plastics molding. His technical experience also includes three years as manager of the Colorado State University Center for Computer Assisted Engineering. He is also versed in materials science, metallurgy, tribology, surface finishing, electroplating, CAD/CAM systems, material handling systems, machine vision, robotics, nanotechnology, semiconductor integrated circuit fabrication and testing, telecommunications, computer systems, computer networking, database organization, business software methods, and various computer operating systems and software programming languages.
Before joining Stoel Rives, Kassim was an associate at Lane Powell Spears Lubersky LLP in Portland, Oregon (1996-1997).
- Represented Planar Systems, Inc. in connection with its divestiture of intellectual property assets relating to the CoolSign digital signage business, in two separate transactions: the sale of a joint interest and exclusive rights in the field of gaming to a leading gaming and entertainment technology company, and the subsequent sale of the remaining joint interest and exclusive license rights outside the field of gaming to a second buyer in the digital signage and advertising software business.
- Represented a privately held company in connection with an Ocean Tomo auction of its patent portfolio in the course of winding down affairs of the company.
- Represented a private company in its $3 million acquisition of well-known brand assets from a public company.
- Represented a public company in a $3.5 million divestiture of certain patent assets and associated technology to a multinational public company.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Patent Law), 2013
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Intellectual Property), 2009-2012
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
- Member, Oregon Patent Law Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association, Patent Search Committee
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Optical Society of America - Columbia Section
- Member, Outdoor Industry Association
- "America Invents Act – What You Need to Know Now," Stoel Rives, 2011
- "Patent Protection Pitfalls," Stoel Rives Intellectual Property Series, 2006
- "They Can't Do That! (Can They?) - What Every Business Should Know About Responding to IP Infringement Claims," Stoel Rives Intellectual Property Series, 2004
- Member, Oregon State Bar Diversity Section, Employment & Advancement Subcommittee, 2009
- Volunteer, Lewis & Clark Small Business Legal Clinic, 2006-2009
- Volunteer, Multnomah County Legal Aid, 1997-2009
- Chair, Mazamas Access Committee, 1998-2001
- Member, Oregon State Bar Affirmative Action Committee, 1997-1999
- Volunteer, Madrone Wall Preservation Committee, 2000
- Volunteer, Hands-On Portland, 1997
- Law of Outdoor Industries, Chapter 4 – Patents (2011-2012)
- Editor, Business Law Practice, Part 5: Intellectual Property Considerations, Washington Lawyers Practice Manual, 2006-2008
- "Patent Numbers Reflect Oregon's R&D Vitality," Portland Business Journal, Sept. 15, 2006
- 2005 Oregon Patent Report, July 2006
- "Oregon Patent Growth Skyrockets," Multnomah Lawyer, Oct. 2005
- 2004 Oregon Patent Report, July 2005
- "Inventorship in U.S. Patent Applications," www.stoel.com, 2003
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., 1996
- Colorado State University, B.S.M.E. Mathematics minor, 1990
Tau Beta Pi
Print to Word
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon