Ron Sim has spent over 25 years in private practice handling a wide variety of civil and criminal cases. After leaving the United States Attorney's Office in 1980, Ron built a white-collar criminal defense practice. He has been involved in several health care cases with both civil and criminal exposure. He has represented both large corporations and individuals in criminal cases involving government contracting. He has represented officers and directors of financial institutions during grand jury investigation and has also represented clients charged with or under investigation for customs law violations, securities fraud, tax fraud, environmental violations and ERISA violations. Additionally, Ron has a significant civil litigation practice, generally representing businesses in complex disputes. He identifies himself primarily as a "trial lawyer" and has sought out opportunities to try cases in diverse fields such as employment discrimination, estate litigation, trade secrets and real estate disputes.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Ron was an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington (1972-1980); a U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington (1977); and an attorney with the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps (1968-1972).
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2012
- Listed in Washington Super Lawyers®, 1999-2011
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Washington) by Chambers USA (currently: Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations), 2006-2012
- Past president, Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Criminal Justice Act Committee, U.S. District Court for Western District of Washington
- Mediator and arbitrator, United States District Court
- White Collar Crime Committee, Criminal Justice Section and Litigation Section, American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association Judicial Conferencing Program
- Association of Former United States Attorneys
- Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 1985-1987, 1990
- Ron is a frequent lecturer at Continuing Legal Education programs regarding representation of individual and corporate targets of federal criminal investigations and legal ethics.
- "Response to a Criminal Investigation of a Health Care Provider," Pacific Northwest Health Care Compliance Institute, 2000
- "Environmental Crimes Liability Update," Oregon Insider, Mar. 15, 1999
- "Hot Issues, Developments, and Trends in White Collar Crime and Responding to a Criminal Investigation," chapter for 1998 Corporate Counsel Institute, Washington State Bar Association
- "Environmental Investigations," Washington Law, Jan. 1992
- University of Washington, J.D., 1968
- Michigan State University, A.B., 1965
Print to Word
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Washington