Julia R. Pettit
Julia Pettit practices in the firm's Corporate group, with a focus on renewable energy project finance and development and mergers and acquisitions. Julia's renewable energy practice also includes advising on and/or negotiating core agreements relating to renewable energy projects, including site lease agreements, joint venture agreements, development agreements, power purchase agreements, consulting agreements, supply and offtake agreements, credit support and other documentation related to project development. In addition, Julia has broad experience representing borrowers and lenders in general commercial finance and secured transactions, and creditors, debtors and other parties-in-interest in general corporate restructuring and insolvency-related matters.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Julia gained a wide range of experience in complex commercial litigation matters as a litigation associate at Bingham, Dana & Gould (now Bingham McCutchen LLP), Boston, Massachusetts (1991-1993). She also served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Samuel Alba, United States Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court, District of Utah (1994-2001).
- Represented wind energy developer in connection with $525 million construction loan for 202 MW wind energy project and $178 million construction loan for 60 MW expansion of the project.
- Represented wind energy developer in connection with $343 million construction loan and $15 million infrastructure loan for 136 MW wind energy project.
- Represented the developer/owner of a 63 million gallon-per-year dry mill ethanol plant in Ohio in negotiating, documenting and closing $70 million in project financing.
- Assisted in representation of issuer of approximately $106 million in revenue bonds relating to the refinancing of a prior issuance of bonds.
- Assisted in representation of issuer of approximately $47 million in revenue bonds relating to the refinancing of a prior issuance of bonds.
- Assisted in representation of issuer approximately $87 million in revenue bonds relating to the refinancing of a prior issuance of bonds and the expansion of higher educational institution's facilities.
- Assisted in representation of issuer of approximately $7 million in adjustable rate revenue bonds relating to educational institution projects.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of international solar photovoltaic manufacturer in the acquisition of two construction ready solar energy projects located in California.
- Represented a major U.S. energy company in the divestiture of operating wind energy projects located in California.
- Represented a major U.S. energy company in connection with its acquisition of a development portfolio (in excess of 200 MW) of California solar power projects.
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of international solar independent power producer in the acquisition of a development portfolio of solar energy projects located in Nevada.
- Assisted in divestiture of wind energy project with installed capacity of 120 MWs.
- Assisted in merger of two ethanol companies, which created one of the nation's largest publicly traded ethanol production companies, with complimentary grain, agronomy, feed, fuel, and ethanol marketing and distribution operations.
- Represented strategic buyer in acquiring substantially all of the assets of a personal care products company from the Assignee following an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors.
- Represented strategic buyer in acquiring substantially all of the assets of an amusement ride company through a Chapter 11 Section 363 sale.
- Represented venture capital fund in acquiring substantially all of the assets of a company engaged in web-based physician practice management software and billing service solutions through a Chapter 11 Section 363 sale.
- Assisted in representation of transportation company in acquiring substantially all of the assets of company offering premium truckload transportation services for major shippers through a Chapter 11 Section 363 sale.
- Represented owners/developers of ethanol production facilities and/or other parties-in-interest in financial restructuring of project debt and the acquisition of projects and/or claims through the Section 363 sale processes.
- Assisted in representation of the secured noteholders of Oregon Arena Corporation (OAC) in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. The noteholders, which are major national insurance companies, were collectively owed approximately $192 million secured by the Rose Garden Arena and other properties in the Rose Quarter in Portland, Oregon.
- Represented private aluminum producer and three of its subsidiaries in the confirmation of their joint Chapter 11 plan of reorganization. Pursuant to the plan, we assisted a new affiliate of Debtor in the issuance of more than $15 million of senior and subordinated debt securities and the execution of a $5 million "exit" credit facility.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in the 2011 Utah Business "Legal Elite"
- Member, Business Law and Environment, Energy and Resources Sections, American Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Energy and Natural Resources Sections, Utah State Bar Association
- Member, Park City Bar Association
- "The Buying and Selling of Distributed Solar Projects," Panel Moderator, Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, California, Feb. 28, 2012
- "Buying and Selling Project Assets (Project M&A)," Panel Moderator, Projects and Money 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana, Jan. 19, 2012
- "The Green Corporate M&A Landscape," Moderator, Green Energy M&A Outlook for 2012, Nov. 15, 2011
- "Financing Strategies for Utility-Scale Projects" Panelist, Solar Power International 2011, Dallas, Texas, Oct. 19, 2011
- "Renewable Energy Development 101," Faculty, Utah Renewable Energy Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, Apr. 19, 2011
- "Renewable Energy Project Financing," Presenter, Utah Renewable Energy Business Summit, Sandy, Utah, Nov. 15, 2010
- "Utilization of the DOE Loan Guarantee Program for Wind Projects," Co-presenter, Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, California, Feb.10, 2010
- "Developing Renewable Energy Projects- Challenges and Legal Issues," Co-presenter, Annual Renewable Energy Conference, Utah Olympic Park, Park City, Utah, 2008
- "Legal Issues in Restructuring Existing Ethanol Plants," Optimizing Ethanol Plants Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2008
- "Alternative Energy Development: The Newest Ski Jump Event," Panel Moderator, ABI's 13th Annual Rocky Mountain Bankruptcy Conference, Denver, Colorado, 2008
- "Biomass from Waste—Gasification and Landfill Gas, Project Developer's Perspectives on the Market," Panel Moderator, Biomass Finance & Investment Summit, Miami, Florida, 2008
- "Financing Biofuels Projects: Supply, Offtake and Hedging Agreements," 2007 Biofuels Workshop and Trade Show - Eastern Region, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2007
- Member, Board of Trustees, Park City Ski Education Foundation, 2011-2012
- Board Member, Utah Solar Energy Association, 2010-2011
- Planning Commissioner, Park City Planning Commission, 2006-2012
- Member, Park City Board of Adjustment, 2007-2011
- Victim Advocate, Domestic Peace Task Force, 1994-1995
- Volunteer Attorney, provided pro bono legal services through Greater Boston Legal Services (assisted Haitian refugee in filing application for political asylum), 1992-1993
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 1991, cum laude
Staff member, Suffolk Transnational Law Journal, 1989-1990
- University of Utah, B.A., 1984, economics
Print to Word
- California (pending)
- U.S. District Courts of Massachusetts and Utah