Gary Barnum is a partner of the firm. He has a broad corporate practice, with an emphasis on finance, tax-motivated transactions, partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions. His primary focus in recent years has been the utility industry, with particular emphasis in the renewable energy area. However, he also has a wide range of experience representing financial service companies, manufacturers, retailers and other industry groups.
Gary has handled a wide range of transactions, including partnership (and limited liability company) formations and syndications, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, syndicated credit facilities, private placements, leveraged lease and project financings, utility financings, asset-backed financings and securitizations, commercial paper programs, and derivative arrangements. In addition to his significant experience with non-recourse and other project financing arrangements, he has also been involved with a wide variety of tax-motivated transactions, including low-income housing credits and state tax credit programs, federal and state energy credit transactions, and industrial development and pollution control projects.
- Represented equity investors in connection with investments in IRC §45-qualified wind projects throughout the United States.
- Represented developer in connection with the financing of a 10-megawatt geothermal electric-generation project.
- Represented a power generation company in separate transactions in connection with the purchase and sale of multiple power projects located in California, Colorado, Maine, Michigan and Nevada.
- Represented a power generation company in an asset-backed private placement of notes, combined with a term loan facility, involving the financing of multiple natural gas-fired combined cycle facilities.
- Represented a power generation company in the sale of its general partnership and carried interest in a 240-megawatt natural gas-fired cogeneration power production facility (and had previously represented this company in connection with the original construction financing, long-term financing, refinancing and syndication).
- Represented a power generation company in the sale of its general and limited partnership interest in a 25.3-megawatt waste-to-energy power production facility.
- Represented a power generation company in the development, construction and financing of several waste-to-energy power production facilities.
- Represented a finance company in connection with the financing of several geothermal power production facilities.
- Represented a national syndicator in connection with multiple syndications to various institutional investors of investment funds engaged in the acquisition, development and operation of federal tax-credit affordable housing projects throughout the United States.
- Represented developers in the development, construction and financing of federal tax-credit affordable housing projects throughout the United States.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Equipment Finance Law), 2007, 2009-2013
- Member, Business Section of the Oregon State Bar
- Member, Business Law Section of the American Bar Association
- University of Washington Law School, J.D., 1981, honors
- University of Oregon, B.A., 1977, high honors
Print to Word