Jason E. Prince
Jason Prince's practice focuses on the domestic and international sale of goods and services, providing clients with representation in complex business disputes and counseling that minimizes the risk of such disputes arising. He represents businesses of various sizes in contract disputes and class actions in federal and state courts, as well as in negotiations, mediations and arbitrations. Jason also counsels multinational and exporting businesses on compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and U.S. export control regulations. Additionally, he advises exporting businesses on international commercial agreements involving distributors and sales representatives throughout Asia, Canada, Europe, Latin America and Oceania.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Jason served as a law clerk to Judge Susan H. Black of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and as a deputy press secretary to Nobuteru Ishihara, a Japanese House of Representatives member, in Tokyo, Japan.
Representative Dispute Resolution and Class Action Work
- Defended SUPERVALU Inc. and Albertson's LLC in the ongoing Motor Fuel Temperature Sales Practices MDL proceeding, which involves the plaintiff class's challenge to the retail gasoline and diesel fuel sales practices of more than 140 defendants in over 20 states; secured the dismissal of both clients.
- Defending a U.S.-based multinational agribusiness company in Idaho federal court litigation arising from the contemplated acquisition of a potato processing plant in South America.
- Represented Albertson's LLC in a breach of contract lawsuit in Idaho federal court concerning a multimillion-dollar janitorial services agreement; defeated a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction. Albertson's LLC v. Kleen-Sweep Janitorial Co. (D. Idaho 2009).
- Represented an Idaho-based hay distributor in a breach of contract lawsuit in Idaho federal court involving the distribution of hay in the United Arab Emirates and Jordan; obtained a settlement through mediation.
- Defended a Utah-based consumer automobile financial services provider in a class action in Idaho state court involving alleged UCC Article 9 violations; secured a court-approved class action settlement.
- Defended an Idaho-based solar industry manufacturer in an American Arbitration Association proceeding involving the alleged breach of a domestic and international distribution agreement; obtained a settlement through negotiation.
- Serving as court-appointed class counsel to the inmates at the Idaho State Correctional Institution in a 30-year-old class action in Idaho federal court involving injunctive relief aimed at remedying unconstitutional conditions; defeated Ninth Circuit appeal of attorney's fees award. Balla v. State of Idaho (9th Cir. 2012) (published).
Representative International Compliance Counseling and Contract Work
- Drafted an FCPA compliance policy and provided FCPA compliance training for an Idaho-based automated welding company's Chinese joint venture.
- Provided FCPA compliance training to an Oregon-based multinational renewable energy company, and counseled the company on tailoring its mergers and acquisitions due diligence protocol to address FCPA issues.
- Drafted an FCPA compliance policy and provided FCPA compliance training for an Oregon-based forest products company with operations throughout the Pacific Rim, and drafted the company's FCPA-specific international contract provisions.
- Counseled an Oregon-based multinational electronics manufacturer on complying with the U.S. export control regulations governing the U.S. embargoes of Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Syria.
- Counseled a Utah-based nutritional supplement company on obtaining an Office of Foreign Assets Control license to export its products to Iran.
- Counseled a Utah-based international humanitarian organization on complying with the Export Administration Regulations governing its donations of millions of dollars worth of vitamins to women and children in North Korea.
- Counseling Meyer Industries, winner of the Commercial News USA 2009 Exporter of the Year Award (Agriculture), on various legal issues related to distributing its Rodenator® product in Europe, Oceania, Asia, Africa and North America.
- Counseled a U.S. university on drafting and negotiating its marketing agency agreement with a Hong Kong-based company involving the university's establishment of a permanent student recruitment office in Beijing, China.
- Selected as a "Rising Star," (Business Litigation), by Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2010-2012
- Recipient, The Advocate Award: Best Article in 2011, given by The Editorial Advisory Board of the Idaho State Bar for "Chipping Away at the 'Wall of Stone': Foreign Country Law and Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 44.1," The Advocate, Feb. 2011
- Selected as Idaho "Face of Trade," U.S. Chamber of Commerce's TradeRoots Program, 2010
- Selected as "Accomplished Under 40" by Idaho Business Review, 2010
- Luce Scholar, The Henry Luce Foundation, Tokyo, Japan, 2001-2002
Professional and Civic Activities
- Local Civil Rules Committee, U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho, Member, 2010-present
- Idaho District Export Council, Chair, 2009-present, Member (appointed by U.S. Secretary of Commerce), 2008-present
- TerraLex, Idaho Representative, 2011-present
- Kickstand Board of Directors, Member, 2008-present
- Idaho State Bar, International Section, Advisory Council Member, 2009-present, Member, 2008-present
- Idaho State Bar, Litigation Section, Member, 2006-present
- American Bar Association, International and Litigation Sections, Member, 2007-present
- Federal Bar Association, Idaho Chapter, Member, 2006-present
- Idaho Law Day Committee, Chair, 2007-2008, Member, 2006-present
- American Inn of Court No. 130, Associate, 2007-2009
- Leadership Boise, Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce, Graduate, 2007-2009
- "From Mooncakes to Red Envelopes: Minimizing Anti-Corruption Liability in China," China's Leadership Transition: The Implications for Business and U.S.-China Relations, Boise, Idaho, 2013
- "Electronic Discovery in U.S. Litigation," TerraLex/Yuasa and Hara Japanese Client Seminar, Tokyo, Japan, 2012
- "Minimizing Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Risk in China's Guanxi Culture," Governor of Idaho's Trade Mission to China Delegation, Boise, Idaho, 2012
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Reducing and Containing Risk and Cost in an Increasingly Challenging World," KPMG and Stoel Rives LLP Executive Briefing, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2011
- "Traps for the Unwary: Agreements with Foreign Partners and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Idaho Export Excellence Program, Boise, Idaho, 2010
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Legal Updates in the Forest Products Industry Seminar, World Forestry Center, Portland, Oregon, October 2009
- "International Commercial Law Issues," Lecture, Boise State University College of Business and Economics, Boise, Idaho, 2008-present
- "Anti-Corruption in the International Marketplace," CLE Seminar, National Business Institute, Seattle, Washington, 2008
- "Rise of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: How to Minimize the Perils of Doing Business in China," Presentation, Northwest China Council, Portland, Oregon, 2008
- "International Commercial Transactions and the Law," Seminar, U.S. Commercial Service, Boise, Idaho, 2008
- "The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," CLE Seminar, Micron Technology, Inc., Boise, Idaho, 2007
- "Chipping Away at the 'Wall of Stone': Foreign Country Law and Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 44.1," The Advocate, February 2011 (Recipient of The Advocate Award: Best Article in 2011 by The Editorial Advisory Board of the Idaho State Bar)
- "Does Act of State Mean Out of Luck?: The Perils of Doing Business with Foreign States and Their State-Owned Companies," The Advocate, October 2009
- Coauthor, "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Chapter 16 of The Law of Wind, Stoel Rives
- "A Rose by Any Other Name? Foreign Corrupt Practices Act-Inspired Civil Actions," The Advocate, March/April 2009
- Coauthor, "Paying for the Sins of Another: Vicarious and Successor Liability Under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," TerraLex eNewsletter, July 2008
- "Five Ways Idaho's Exporters Can Minimize Liability," Idaho Business Review, June 2008
- "First to File or First to Offend?: Demand Letters and the First-to-File Rule," The Advocate, May 2007
- "China, Idaho, Florida? Which Law Governs Your Contract Disputes?", Idaho Business Review, March 2007
- "New Wine in Old Wineskins: Analyzing State Direct-Shipment Laws in the Context of Federalism, the Dormant Commerce Clause, and the Twenty-First Amendment," Notre Dame Law Review, 2004
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude
Editor-in-chief, Notre Dame Law Review (2004-2005)
International Law Program, London, England (Summer 2003)
- University of Cambridge, M.Phil., 2000
Coursework in European Union environmental law
- Davidson College, B.A., 1999, magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit