Michael W. Christopherson
Michael Christopherson is a partner of the firm providing real estate, land use, development and other business transactional services, including land acquisitions and sales, leasing, financing, subdivisions, multi-family housing, condominium and timeshare project development, boundary and easement issues, title insurance review and negotiation, due diligence, partnership formation, workouts and foreclosures, business acquisitions and sales and commercial contracts. His clients include real estate developers and investors, hospitals and health care providers, energy developers, ski resorts, commercial landlords and tenants, manufacturers and financial institutions.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Michael was an associate at Mayer Brown LLP in Los Angeles, California from 2004 to 2006, and at O'Melveny & Myers LLP in Los Angeles from 2003 to 2004. Michael also served as a law clerk to the Honorable C. Arlen Beam, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, from 2002 to 2003.
- Represented Utah-based development group in the complex structuring and negotiation of a unique project development agreement with a national timeshare company, and the related construction and permanent financing, for a Park City timeshare project.
- Represented Utah-based development group in the acquisition, development and financing of a progressive, urban-infill condominium project and a multifamily apartment project in the Sugarhouse area.
- Represented prominent Utah-based healthcare company in connection with its acquisition of multiple sites for the development of hospitals, supply chain distribution facilities and other healthcare facilities, as well as in connection with its acquisition of multiple medical practices and related medical business operations.
- Represented North American division of Spain-based international renewable energy developer in the complex workout and settlement of private land rights for a major wind energy project in Solano and Alameda Counties in California.
- Represented North American division of Italy-based international renewable energy developer in securing private land rights for multiple wind and solar energy projects in California.
- Represented Washington-based bank in the foreclosure and subsequent disposition of several large development projects in Salt Lake, Wasatch and Utah Counties.
- Represented Utah ski resort in the complex negotiation and acquisition of additional land and other real property interests in connection with planned resort expansion.
- Represented U.S. Air Force in several complex transactions and workouts in connection with the privatization of military base housing and related financing for nine different U.S. Air Force bases.
- Represented national manufacturer of laundry and dish detergents in the leasing of multiple warehouses and distribution centers in locations throughout the United States.
- Represented Utah-based investment group in the acquisition of assisted living facilities in Washington and Cache Counties.
- Represented several different investors in the acquisitions and foreclosures of distressed commercial loans.
- Represented major Utah-based construction company in the acquisition of multiple sites for the mining and processing of sand and gravel.
- Represented major national insurance company in the acquisition and leasing of a large industrial park in San Diego, California, and in the sales of multiple top-tier office buildings, including a $200 million office building in downtown San Francisco and a $100 million biotech lab and office building in downtown Seattle.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Utah Business "Legal Elite" directory, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Listed among Rising StarsSM (Real Estate, Energy and Natural Resources), Mountain States Super Lawyers® 2009, 2011, 2012
- "Earth, Wind & Fire: Securing Real Estate Rights for Renewable Energy Projects," Utah Renewable Energy Conference (Utah Solar Energy Association/Utah Technology Council), Apr. 19, 2011
- Member, Sandy City Board of Adjustment, 2008-present
- Member, Sandy City Mayor's Economic Development Council, 2008-2009
- "The Young and the Lease-less: Issues to Think About in Your First Commercial Lease," The Enterprise, Dec. 10-16, 2007
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
Note Editor, Cornell Law Review
- University of Utah, B.A., English, 1997
Print to Word